Ex-Real Madrid Star Urges Kylian Mbappé to Aid Defense Upon Arrival

Kylian Mbappé has dealt with criticism during his time at Paris Saint-Germain. One aspect of his game that leads to criticism is his defending, and ahead of a potential move to Real Madrid, one former player believes that it’s something the Frenchman will need to commit to.

In an interview with Spanish media outlet Diario AS, former Merengue defender Ivan Helguera believes that the arrival of Mbappé will not disrupt the balance at Real Madrid. Still, Helguera wants to see the 2018 FIFA World Cup winner commit to defending. 

“I don’t think that is the case,” Helguera told the platform (h/t Le10Sport). “From my point of view, good players always understand each other. What must be managed well is balance and, above all, physical effort, both in attack and in defense.

“If Mbappé comes, they shouldn’t be less dedicated to defense. Ultimately, wingers must play their defensive role. Mbappé will certainly have to do it, too.”

As Mbappé appears nearing a move to the Spanish giants, the latest information regarding image rights surfaced. According to El Chiringuito host Josep Pedrerol, Mbappé will keep 80 percent of his image rights, while Real Madrid will hold onto the other 20 percent.

The only time Real Madrid conceded more than 50 percent of a player’s image rights was for Cristiano Ronaldo, so the Frenchman would become only the second player to cause Los Blancos to make an exception. 

Tags Kylian Mbappé Real Madrid
Follow Us