Dortmund’s Meunier Blames Leonardo for His Departure From PSG

Last month, Thomas Meunier left Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer to sign with Borussia Dortmund. It only took three weeks for the Belgium international to air out the dirty laundry that occurred behind the scenes prior to his departure. 

In an interview with the German Press Agency (via Canal Supporters), the 28-year-old wanted to make one thing clear; he wanted to compete with PSG in their two domestic cup finals and the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals against Atalanta. 

Meunier doesn’t want anyone to think that he didn’t want to be out there. On June 17, the Belgium international did tweet out a photo with the words “Parisian” in all caps. It made many think that he’d extend his contract for two months. However, that wasn’t the case.

Furthermore, it seems as though Meunier’s anger is towards PSG sporting director, Leonardo. 

“Leonardo never tried to reach an agreement with the BVB, and even less with me! He wanted me to play for PSG almost free,” Meunier said.

The next thing that Meunier added was that Leonardo began using the French media to go after him. According to the right-back, the Brazilian told the press that he refused a contract extension. 

“Then I was told by phone that I should not meet anyone because I could tell disturbing stories,” Meunier said. “Leonardo told the press in France that I had refused to extend my contract. But it’s not true, I want to say it very clearly.”

We’ll see if Leonardo decides to respond or keep the chapter on Meunier closed. 

Want more PSG? Visit the PSG Talk Podcast Network page and subscribe to PSG TalkingThe 1970, and 24th & Parc.

Tags Borussia Dortmund Leonardo Thomas Meunier